Thursday, January 1, 2015

My Favorite B Movie Cowboys


Originally posted in 2013 at BOOKSTEVE GOES TO THE MOVIES

My Dad loved cowboy pictures and I was born in the heyday of the TV western so it was inevitable that I would become a cowboy fan. I was 12 years old, though, before I saw my first of the traditional low budget B Westerns. That was when one local station picked up a package that included a bunch of them. I already had been a big fan of ROY ROGERS form his television series which ran in reruns inti the early seventies!



TEX RITTER was a country and western singing star as well as a most engaging presence in films. His son, John, was alreadya  favorite of mine by the time I discovered him.



TIM HOLT, above, was the first B western star whose movies I saw. They were shown weekly for about a year.


I was already a JOHN WAYNE fan as well since he was still around then and my dad had taken me to see nearly all of his new films throughout my life. 



My first exposure to GENE AUTRY was his science-fiction serial, THE PHANTOM EMPIRE, It would be years later before I would catch his flicks when TNN offered a regular slot with Gene and his former sidekick Pat Buttram introducing them.



BUCK JONES, perhaps these days more famous for his 1940's nightclub fire death, jumped straight into my Top 5 when I first saw one of his films!


Johnny Mack Brown was a former football star groomed for major stardom by MGM and then tossed aside where he became a popular B movie cowboy star. His popularity persists even today as his are the most popular sellers by far at the DVD site I share!


Col. Tim McCoy was a real cowboy who drifted into early films and remained until the forties. He was still around into the mid-seventies when he guested on Tom Snyder's TOMORROW show.

3 comments:

  1. I mat Johnny Mack Brown at a Rodeo in NYC as a child. I still remember the encounter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Check out my book at Amazon and Audible:
    A Gentlemen's Guide to Style and Self-Defense in the Old American West: Traditional American History Series, Book 14
    James M volo

    ReplyDelete
  3. I met Roy Rogers in 1972. Drove him around a property development in PA called Ranchlands. They were looking for him to do advertising. It did not happen. He was a regular fellow.e were together for several hours. His manager (I don't know the name) appears in several films as an extra.

    ReplyDelete